Set coordinates for time travel at Fortress Louisbourg geocaching event February 19
In celebration of Heritage Day, Parks Canada and the Atlantic Canada Geocaching Association invite you to “cache” in on the excitement on Saturday, February 19 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site.
Participants are asked to first register at the Louisbourg Firehall at 10 a.m. where they will receive an agenda and the waypoints needed to start their adventure. There is no fee for this event.
An introduction to geocaching workshop (based on demand) may be offered for those new to the activity. Whether a seasoned geocacher or a newbie, there will be a cache for every skill level. This is a great family activity and excellent for all ages.
After finding the geocaches, participants can come and socialize in one of the 18th-century taverns where coffee and tea will be available.
Geocaching is a modern treasure hunt – a new sport that is growing in popularity with people of all ages. Given the latitudinal and longitudinal co-ordinates, participants use their GPS (Global Positioning System) unit to locate the hidden “cache,” a small box with a logbook to record their visit.
The Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site will offer six traditional geocaches hiding in and around the nooks and crannies of this 18th century fortified town. Geocaching offers visitors a brand new way to experience this special place.
To participate, here’s what you need to do:
- Join www.geocaching.com, the global GPS caching website. It’s free.
- Locate the six geocaches available at the Fortress of Louisbourg
- Find each cache. You can sign the log book if you like, and log your find on the Geocaching website.
- Each cache contains a link to further information which can be accessed on the Parks Canada website. If you have a smartphone, you may be able to access this additional content instantly!
For more information on geocaching at the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site, visit www.atlanticgeocaching.com`. You can also call (902) 733-2280.
- Hi tech hide and seek – Geocaching Day at Highlands National Park Saturday, June 5
- Maritime Blacksmiths Set to Invade Louisbourg Fortress October 22-23
- Under The Arch Plein Air event seeks artists to paint the town of Louisbourg
- Learn to garden the 18th Century way at Fortress Louisbourg
- Fortress Louisbourg offers bike tours, garden seminars, and saintly celebrations